Sunday, May 24, 2009

Horse Artillery.....Calef's Battery

I was out and about on the battlefield this morning and was reading some of the monuments and markers. I came across this one for Calef's Battery and it led to some questions for which I have found some answers. This is a rare feat for me! Here is what the marker said:

Army of the Potomac
Cavalry Corps
Second Bridgade Horse Artillery
Battery A Second U.S. Artillery
6 3 inch rifles
Lieut. John H. Calef Commanding
June 30 Arrived in the evening from Emmitsburg and took position on the Chambersburg Pike.
July 1 Advanced with the First Division Cavalry Corps. The right and left sections on the
Chambersburg Pike. The centre section under Sergt. Chas. Pergel posted here with the
First Brigade First Division Cavalry Corps and assisted in repulsing an attack of the
Confederate Infantry. This section having been withdrawn joined the Battery in the rear and
again advanced with left section and relieved Battery B First Maine Artillery on
Chambersburg pike in the afternoon but was soon compelled by a front and enfilading fire to
retire. Rejoined the Battery in position with the Cavalry on the left in front of Cemetery
Ridge and remained during the night.
Casualties Wounded 12 men
13 horses killed
One of my questions was this: What exactly is horse artillery? Well I went to Wikipedia. I know, I know, Wikipedia isn't exactly accurate but I figured how badly could they screw up a definition? But after reading what they had listed as a definition, I now understand just what it is. Here is what Wikipedia says horse artillery is: a type of light, fast-moving and fast-firing artillery which provided highly mobile fire support (especially to Cavalry units).
Ah-ha! It provided highly mobile fire support for Cavalry units. Well, they were supporting John Buford's Cavalry. Light, fast-moving.....well, 3-inch ordnance rifles were some of the smaller cannons used. Now it is all making sense. If I were a Cavalry commander I would certainly want something of this caliber for my use.
Question #2: If Charles Pergel was in command of 2 of the 6 guns and his men were down near where the present day Doubleday statue is located, who was in charge of the remaining 4 guns located out on the Chambersburg Pike? Well, I looked very carefully through Noah Andre Trudeau's book "Gettysburg: A Testing of Courage" and he says that John Roder was in charge of those guns. So, while Calef was placing Pergel's guns, Roder was commanding the other 4 guns.
Question #3: Why were the guns separated? Let's get the answer directly from John Calef: "It was part of General Buford's plan to cover as large a front as possible with my battery (his only artillery) for the purpose of deceiving the enemy as to his strength." So, now I know why the guns were spread out. Makes lots of sense now. John Buford really did know his battle strategies and this just proves that he had a plan.
Now when I head out to the battlefield and I read the signs and monuments in regards to Calef's Battery, I will understand more about why they did what they did....because now I have the answers!

No comments:

Post a Comment