Wednesday, July 1, 2009

July 1, 1863

Here it is July 1, 2009....146 years after the Battle of Gettysburg. So much has changed in the world and so much has stayed the same. Here it is 146 years later and there is still so much killing and war going on throughout the world. You would think that we would have learned, but we haven't. The only changes are the technology. We now have bigger and better killing machines as opposed to the muskets, rifles, and cannons of the 19th century. But I digress.

In the early morning hours of July1, 1863, Union Cavalry General John Buford met Confederate General Henry Heth on the fields west of town. This initial clash led to what would become the biggest battle on American soil. 170,000 men met and did their best to try to push the other off the fields. What a waste!

I often wonder why I am drawn to the Civil War. I hate war and anything to do with war, yet I find myself fascinated with this war. Why? I think what it boils down to is that I find myself fascinated with the men who fought and not so much the fight itself. What would cause these men to leave their families to go out and fight their brothers? Did they really have a "cause" or was it peer pressure? Were they looking for adventure? Did they realize what would happen to them or their family members when they actually took part in a fight? So many questions, so little answers.

The men (and some women) who fought are the real heroes. After their first battle, it would be easy to understand someone just up and walking away from the war. After seeing their first dead and wounded, why didn't they up and walk away? Some did. Most did not. It amazes me that these men were able to keep going. I'm not sure that I would have been able to keep going...this is why I find each one a hero. These guys were able to do something that I would not be able to do.

Until all was said and done, July 1st would rank up there with some of the bloodiest days of the Civil War. I believe that there were 16,000 dead and wounded by the time the sun set on that fateful Wednesday. One of the more famous dead was Lancaster, Pa native John Reynolds. Reynolds was one of the best generals that the North had and yet was shot dead before the fighting really even started.

Confederate General James Archer was wounded and captured during this melee. Supposedly, after he was captured, he was taken to General Abner Doubleday (yes, THE Abner Doubleday of baseball fame....who never invented the game...but that's a WHOLE other story) who claimed to be glad to see him old friend and former West Point classmate. As you can imagine, Archer was NOT glad to see Doubleday. I've heard that this story is true and I've also heard that this story is not true. Will we ever know the truth? I don't know but it makes an interesting story.

And then there is the whole Howard/Hancock dispute. Was Hancock in charge of the field when he arrived, or was Howard, the ranking officer, in charge? We know that Meade placed Hancock in charge, but did he take charge when he arrived? Another mystery that we may never have a real answer for. Both sides of the story have strong evidence. Of course, as a HUGE fan of Hancock, I tend to go with his side of the story....but I am definitely biased (and I will admit it)!!!

So much happened that fateful day in 1863. Can we ever really know and understand why they did what they did? Will we ever be able to say this is definitively what occurred? I doubt it...but the quest is fun. For us "Battle geeks" (as I like to call myself), the quest is the best part. I like to understand who the men were and why they did what they did...it makes for a better understanding of who we are and where we are going.

1 comment:

  1. (Blogger ate my first comment so I will try again)

    Thank you for another great post. Like yourself I am drawn to the Civil War, but have never had enough passion to study it until my first visit to Gettysburg last year. Now I can't get enough, I don't know what it is about that town, that battle and thoe men that calls to me but it has become an obsession and I can't get enough.
    In my mind I want to just lie on the battlefield and read one book after another and listen to one story after another about these three days and these men. .
    I think we could learn a lot from them if we could go back and talk to them.
    Your last sentance made me think of one of my favorite lines
    You can't know where your going if you don't know where you have been...
    These men would show us where we have been. I didn't have an ancestor at Gettysburg but did have some at Vicksburg which was fought the same day.
    Enjoy your fourth, Maybe I will be able to get up that way next year for the anniversarty (I will be back in Oct this year)

    ReplyDelete