Monday, August 24, 2009

Waynesboro, PA

I went on another excursion today. This time I ended up in Waynesboro....looking for more signs of the Civil War. The signs I was looking for was either literal signs or something, anything, that would say "The Civil War came here". Well, in the process, the only sign I found had this on it:

General Jubal Early's Confederate troops occupied Waynesboro June 23, 1863. Next day they marched by Mont Alto to Greenwood, or Black Gap, where, June 25, they were ordered by General Ewell to march to York.

That was quite the walk.....Greenwood to York. It had to be about 35 miles. I feel so sorry for these guys who had to walk from place to place....their poor feet!

In wondering around Waynesboro (which was named for General Anthony Wayne from the Revolutionary War), this was the only sign that I had located. I really thought that there might be more. Robert E. Lee passed through this town during the retreat from Gettysburg. There was nothing around that would signify this. Even though Waynesboro was more or less on the border of Pennsylvania and Maryland (much like Gettysburg), this town was very much Pro-Union (much like Gettysburg). This is all that I've been able to find out about this town. Its a shame....a town full of history and very little out there.

I picked up a map of the "Civil War Trails" in Maryland from a Visitors Center in Maryland. This map has listed on it every Civil War marker in Maryland. So in the next few weeks, months, and/or years, I plan to see each and every one of these markers. As I locate these markers, I plan to post what the markers say and what the terrain (if it played an important part) was like or whatever I notice in these spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment