Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving in Gettysburg

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone out there in Blogland! I truly hope that this Thanksgiving was the best possible for you.

Here in Gettysburg, things were very quiet. In Thanksgiving's past, I have usually been alone so I would take advantage of the quietness and hit the battlefield. First thing in the morning, there isn't a soul in sight. I like those kinds of days on the battlefield. But, this year was different for me. My sister and youngest brother spent the day with me.

Believe it or not, I have a ten year old brother (he's adopted) and I have rubbed off on him. Through me, he has learned much about the battle of Gettysburg and about the battlefield itself. So, we ate around noon and by 1:15 we had hit the battlefield. One of the places that he really wanted to see and spend some time was at Devil's Den. What ten year old isn't fascinated by those rocks? What 42 year old isn't fascinated by those rocks????

We drove around the Wheatfield and went off in search of my 8-point buck that I saw last week. I fear the the sharpshooters that they brought in to control the deer population may have got him. My sister kept telling me that he probably went off to another part of the field. I hope she is right. The minute I see the eyes of an animal, I feel a deep connection with them and I can't stand the thought of anything happening to them. I guess this is why I spend so much time talking to the cows. But let me warn you, eating a hamburger while talking to the cows probably isn't a good idea.

What surprised me the most today, was the number of cars on the battlefield. Usually I'm out there first thing in the morning and by noon, I'm home. Today it was the opposite and we ran into a ton of vehicles. At the High Water Mark, I actually had to sit for a minute because of the traffic (well....more like people trying to get into their vehicles and refusing to close their car doors so that other vehicles can get past). There were many, many people out walking their dogs and some walking off their feasts (or maybe that was just me).

Today was a really lousy day to be battlefield tromping....rainy, foggy, but warm. Yet the crowds were out and about. The Visitor Center and all the attractions in town were closed...only a handful of restaurants were open....yet there were so many visitors in the area.

I drove through town and noticed that the Christmas decorations are up. We have the ugliest fake tree that they build around the flagpole on the Square. But at night, when the lights are on, it is really quite pretty. The Square is always a magical place right after Thanksgiving and as of today, its still the same way. But what was really nice, and probably only happens a couple of times a year, is that I was able to drive around the Square and not see another car. I guess everyone was on the battlefield. But to be able to cruise around that Square without anyone cutting me off, or stopping dead in their tracks, or trying to get off at every turn and then changing their minds, was really, really nice.

If I could suggest one day of the year to visit Gettysburg, Thanksgiving Day would be the day. If you don't want to hit the attractions, then the battlefield and town are all yours....all you have to do is show up (and try to get here early). This may be the slow season, but its one of the best seasons!

No comments:

Post a Comment