Sunday, December 6, 2009

Snow in Gettysburg

It was bound to happen....sooner or later, but we had our first snowfall in Gettysburg yesterday. It wasn't much....maybe 1/2".....probably less. But the ground is white. I love the first snowfall on the battlefield. Why? I hate snow. But the really nice thing about a light snowfall is the fact that you can see things that you would NEVER see at any other time of the year.

First I drove on Ayres Avenue and looked up at Little Round Top. One of the things that stands out most is the tracks where the trolley used to go around the base of Little Round Top. Although you can make out the tracks on any given day, the little bit of snow makes it really stand out. Looking at the path, you can see how that electric trolley bit into the ground, not just at Little Round Top but throughout the park. Its a sad part of the history of Gettysburg. But on a happy note, the walking path near the base of the Triangular Field and through Rose' Woods wouldn't exist without it. I love to walk that path.

As I drove through the Wheatfield, I could look into the woods and see the gentle curve of the land. When there is no snow on the ground, that curve doesn't show. You can sort of see the highs and lows of the ground, but there is just too much underbrush, trees, etc that get in your way. But when there is snow on the ground it shows and you can see deep into the woods. Your perspective changes.

I then drove down Hancock Ave. The one thing that I noticed along this path was the barns. You can see the Weikert, Trostle, Sherfy, Klingel, Codori, Frey, and Brian barns from this road. The snow was still sitting on the roofs and with the sun coming up, they shone like the sun. The glistening of the roofs reminded me that the barns were still there. I hate to say this but I live here and sometimes as a resident I tend to stop seeing things. We get so used to seeing the same things over and over again that they blend into the background. Unfortunately, that happens to me. I try not to let it happen.....but who can stop it. We take the things in our backyards for granted. But seeing those barns glistening in the sunlight was a reminder that even when we stop seeing what we are looking at, they are still there.

Another thing that stood out was General Lee standing tall atop the Virginia Monument. He really stuck out today. Standing close to a mile away and seeing him standing tall made me proud. I'm proud that today we can stand on Union ground, where a Union victory took place and still see the Confederate spirit. The Confederate spirit (whether right or wrong) is what has made this country what it is. The pride and determination of the Southern states is what this country was founded on....only it was the entire country. Where would this country be without determination? Where would this country be without pride? I'm afraid that we wouldn't exist. Seeing General Lee standing there today made me proud to be an American.

Then I got cold and went home. I often joke that I need to move someplace warm....like Hawaii or the Bahamas....but when it comes down to it, I wouldn't live anywhere except in Gettysburg. This is home.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful descriptions! I'm from Gettysburg too and wanted to take a drive out to the battlefield, but stayed in my warm home. I especially wanted to see the 3,000 wreaths they just placed at the National Cemetery. It must have been beautiful with the freshly fallen snow.
    www.jessicajamesbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made it over to the Cemetery yet. I like the heat of my car too much (heated seats are a wonderful invention) to walk over there....and I only live a 1/2 block away. When the temps go up, I'll head over to see the wreaths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy you both, I live in Florida(which is great don't get me wrong) but I so envy you guys getting to visit the battlefield at anytime. I read so much about the battle and long to return there. Hopefully I will get back there in April.

    ReplyDelete