Friday, June 12, 2009

Ranger Programs at Gettysburg

Ever since I moved to Gettysburg (it will 4 years on June 18) I have arranged my life during the summer by the ranger program schedule. Sounds crazy? Maybe it is, but this is what I live for....ranger programs and battle walks. Well....tomorrow it starts.

The Ranger Programs are talks and walks that are about certain aspects of the battle, battlefield, soldiers, or civilians. They can last anywhere from 1/2 hour to 1 hour. These programs are great. The ranger usually gets to the appointed starting point a few minutes early (I've seen them there 1/2 hour early and I've also seen them arrive at exactly the time its supposed to start....so it depends on the ranger) and greets each of the participants. I've been on programs where it was just me and then others where there were 40-50 people....so you never know what you might be in for. The schedules are in booklets at the VC or you can just download the schedule off the website (http://www.nps.gov/gett/planyourvisit/gettfivsprograms.htm). I find myself staring at the schedule trying to figure out if I can do this program and still make it to that program....or should I wait to do one another day....or how can I fit it all in? It's just too much for my poor little brain to handle!

Everyday at 3:30 they have the best possible program of all....the Battlewalk. The battlewalks are a 2 hour walk with a ranger on a specific part of the battle. I've been on some that were two hours and I've been on some that were 4 hours. Warning: If you go on a battlewalk with Troy Harman, keep in mind that the man is nuts! He has to do everything the hard way (Pickett's Charge which is a straight shot across the field became a very scary walk: through weeds up to our shoulders....climbing fences....walking through runs....etc) and his walks NEVER last the allotted time. Troy's walks are probably the best ones....but you pay for it. I would NEVER tell anyone not to do one of his walks, but I would recommend wearing really good shoes and be prepared to be there at least an hour longer than it says. One thing that I HAVE to recommend when attending one of these battlewalks is to wear appropriate clothing and shoes. It never fails that when I go on one of these, there is always a woman in the crowd in a dress and high healed shoes. These programs are best when you are in jeans...or shorts...with a good pair of walking shoes. These women usually drop out at some point because they can't handle the ground. I just have to laugh. They warn you ahead of time to wear appropriate clothing....but they HAVE to look GOOD....regardless. The battlewalks are different everyday. You just have to find one that interests you (I've done most of them at one time or another...unless they are new, and I keep going back) and then show up.

Another program that I LOVE is the Campfire Programs. I am probably the biggest supporter of these programs. On West Confederate Avenue there is an amphitheater. We meet there at 8:30 and the ranger (which ever one is doing it that night) gives a Power Point presentation on some aspect of the Civil War that interests them. Some of the rangers do the same program over and over again....so I don't hit those....it gets boring after awhile. But some of the rangers do their programs once or twice and then come up with a new program....I hit those all the time. When showing up for this program, remember to bring a lawn chair. They have wood benches to sit on, but I always find that about half way through my back is killing me....so I always have my lawn chair. If you get there a little early, the ranger usually has background music playing....a CD of Civil War music. And they almost always have a campfire going (the only times I haven't seen a campfire was during a drought when they couldn't have any open flames.....and after a really bad thunderstorm and the firewood was soaking wet). It sounds crazy to have a campfire going during the summer, but the smoke helps keep the mosquitoes away. And the campfire adds to the ambiance. Most rangers turn the lights off and as the sun goes down, you are sitting in the dark watching the presentation....some leave the lights on....I don't really like it with the lights on....but each person can do things the way they like. The program lasts about an hour and they usually have time afterwards when you can approach the ranger with questions about the program. I LOVE these programs!!!!!

These are the things that take place at the park during the summer. I live according to what is going on....and arrange my life around this stuff....I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I highly recommend that when in Gettysburg, you take in all these FREE programs....it will help in understanding what REALLY happened here.

2 comments:

  1. These really sound great. Can you let me know what time of year they stop? I won't be back up that way until mid Oct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They go full force from the middle of June until the middle of August. After that, they go on as long as they have staffing that allows them to do programs (most rangers are seasonal....in college or are teachers). Your best bet is to hit the Visitors Center and see if anything is happening. They can tell what, when, and where. They really are great!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete