Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What did the 29th Ohio do at Gettysburg?

I went up to Culp's Hill today and sat under a tree to read Harry Pfanz's Culps' Hill and Cemetery Hill book. Harry Pfanz has a way of making you feel like you CAN understand what took place....no matter which part of the battlefield you happen to be studying at the time. Now, I love Culp's Hill. I don't know why....I don't completely understand what took place there....but I'm learning.

So, while sitting under that tree and contemplating the battle, I happened to see the monument to the 29th Ohio. Its a larger monument but nothing really eye catching. And I started to wonder just what those men did on this hill. So I went straight to Harry Pfanz and checked it out.

Now before I get into just what they did, I need to write out exactly what is on that monument. There are four sides to it....so I will write out each side starting with the front and working my way around the monument from right to left (yeah, I know, I'm backwards!)

Side 1
29th Ohio Infantry
1st Brig, 2nd Div, 12th Corps
This memorial is erected by the
State of Ohio
Side 2
Gettysburg
July 2d and 3d 1863
engaged 332 killed 7
wounded 31 2 mortally
total loss 38
Side 3
Principal
Battles
Winchester
1862
Port Republic
June 9, 1862
Cedar Mountain
Chancellorsville
Gettysburg
Lookout Mountain
Dug Gap in Rocky Face
Resaca
New Hope Church
Pine Mountain
Kenesaw Mountain
Peach Tree Creek
Atlanta
Savannah
Carolina Campaign
The 29th Ohio Infantry
Commanded by Capt. Edward Hayes - J.B. Storer Adjutant
Occupied several positions in this vicinity both in the
intrenchments and in Reserve July2 and 3 1863
Side 4
Mustered in for 3 Years
Aug to Dec 1861
Reenlisted as Veterans
Dec 10, 1863
Mustered out July 8-13 1865
OK....so I looked in Pfanz to see just what these guys did and here is what I figured out. They initially were in a "hollow" behind the breastworks. Well, after looking around, the only "hollow" that they could have been in is along current day Williams Avenue. It seems that this area was used to hold reserve units. When the regiment who was fighting ran out of ammunition, the reserve unit would run up, cover the other regiments retreat and keep on fighting. The first regiment then would go to the back, pick up more ammunition, clean their guns, or whatever they needed to do. It seems that the 29th Ohio ran up and relieved the 137th New York. For those who are not familiar with the 137th NY....this regiment was the "20th Me" of the extreme RIGHT of the Union army. They did almost the exact same thing that the 20th ME did on Little Round Top....but they aren't getting the recognition that Chamberlain and his men got. So the 29th Ohio relieves them. But after awhile they get relieved by the 28th Pennsylvania. Until all was said and done, 5 Confederates personally surrendered to these men.
So, when I head up to Culp's Hill and I see the monument to the 29th Ohio, I have a whole new respect for them. They got some of the most intense fighting up there and yet only lost 38 men....that comes out to 11% casualty rate. For this battle, that's fairly low! Go Buckeyes!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are spending time on Culp's and understanding. Just when I think I get it, I get all confused again.
    Great writing Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! Culp's Hill is just too confusing, so I'm learning about one regiment at a time. Hopefully it will stick and I will understand what really happened up there.

    Thanks for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete