Friday, September 25, 2009

Fall is in the air

I drove around Gettysburg National Military Park this morning and noticed that the trees were just starting to turn colors. This is one of my most favorite times of the year. We should be hitting peak season by the middle of October. As I drove through the Round Tops, Devil's Den and the Wheatfield, I could see bits and pieces of leaves that had already given in to the color changes necessary for fall. In between the green leaves of spring and summer, a yellow leaf here, a red leaf there. So the woods will be full of the other colors of fall.

There is one tree in particular at Evergreen Cemetery that seems to have the brightest red leaves that I have ever seen in my life. As I exit Culp's Hill, the tree is straight in front of me. The red stands out brilliantly against the extra blue of the sky (because the sky always seems to be extra blue in the fall). That tree has begun changing.

It's also gotten a bit cooler. The one thing I really like about fall is that the temperature is perfect during the day (warm...without being hot) and it gets cool at night (enough to require a sweater or jacket). This is a good way for us to acclimate ourselves into dragging our jackets with us where ever we go.....but not enough that we have to wear them....winter is following behind the fall and we will have to wear them then.

Another thing I noticed as I was in the park this morning, was that the squirrels and chipmunks are hard at work, gathering their food for the winter. These little creatures (no matter how much of a pain in the neck they are) are scurrying back and forth, gathering nuts, running for their nests, and repeating the process....over and over and over again. It's fun to watch them. But then I feel guilty for not doing the same thing. Maybe I should be home gathering my food for the winter?

The birds seem to be doing their things, also. I watched a Downy Woodpecker the other day as he pecked and pecked and pecked on a tree until he finally got a bug. I have no idea what sort of bug it was, but it was rather large. The woodpecker seemed quite pleased with his prize and flew off. Was he saving his food also? Or was he taking his find to his family? Or was he just going to find a private place to sit and eat? Oh, I wish I could follow these birds around and see.

Autumn in Gettysburg is an incredibly special time of the year and I recommend it to anyone.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy to read that hte leaves are changing. Last year I viisted the third week of Sept. which was a tad to early. I will be up there in two weeks, and can't wait to take some photos. I love Gettysburg any time of the year but am especailly anxious to see it in all it;s glory of fall.

    ReplyDelete