Saturday, October 10, 2009

Death....where is thy sting?

The deaths of the soldiers is something that, unless we have actually experienced it ourselves, is something that we can never completely understand. These are men who had families but gave their lives for their country.....something only a hero would do. When I start thinking about it, it becomes more than my poor mind can handle.

After the Battle of Gettysburg (and I only use this as an example because these sorts of things occurred after EVERY battle in the Civil War) the civilians were more or less left to clean up the mess. Contacting the loved ones of these heroes was something that frequently was done by the civilians. Here is a letter that I found that shows just what a "typical" letter to a family member was like. This letter is talking about having the remains shipped home.

Mr. C. B. Burns
My dear Sir

The remains of your brother was sent to the express office yesterday. I saw them disinterred the day before -- I found a grave (marked with his name) alone, back of the barn on the Walter [Weible] place, the front teeth as you described Sound. The clothing was so decayed that I could not recognize them. The buttons were not brass guilt as you described but military. The neck tie being silk was not fully rotted. So also a small military flag which I suppose he had pocketed as a trophy as also his shoulder straps all of which I have -- & they are subject to your order. I have not at present the liesure to prepare pack & send them to you. The board that stood at the head of his grave is in the box & whoever marked it will be able to recognize it -- trusting I have satisfactorily attended to the trust. I have the pleasure of being very

Respectfully yours,
J.W.C. O'Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment