Thursday, January 14, 2010

I'm back

I am officially back. The blog is going to continue. Thank you so much for hanging in with me...I believe that the problems are over.

So lets get on with my post. Here is an update on the snowfall of Gettysburg: Right before Christmas, we had 16 inches of snow. I've lived here for 4 1/2 years and this is the largest snowfall we've had in that time. The wind was blowing during the snowfall leaving drifts up to my waist. But the snow only lasted a short time....right after Christmas the snow had pretty much melted. A couple of weeks ago, we had another snowstorm....only about an inch, but that snow is still on the ground. Funny how the 16 inches and disappear so quickly and an inch can last forever. Oh the joys of the temperatures not getting over freezing.

Today was different. It got into the 4o's today.....no wind.....no clouds in the sky. The perfect day in Gettysburg....for winter anyway.

As I tromped the battlefield in the last few weeks, I noticed just how deep and rolling the terrain on the fields are. The snow really brings this out. The one place that I really noticed this more than any other part of the field is Culp's Hill. The saddle between the two hills that make up Culp's Hill doesn't seem so steep or so deep on a normal day of the year. It stands out during a snow fall. Also, the new tree cutting on the western edge of Culp's Hill really stands out when we've had a snowfall. The ground is deep and the ravine where the men of the 12th Corps hid while trying to regroup for the next wave of attacks against the Confederates really stands out. For the first time, I could really see the ravine that was mentioned throughout the official reports and letters and such.

I'm really glad to be back and I promise to be posting more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment