Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What was Reynolds thinking?

Someone that I know asked me to spend a little bit of time doing some research and come back to him with my thoughts on what John Reynolds meant on July 1, 1863. Here is what he was concerned about: John Reynolds arrives in Gettysburg. He sees that John Buford is fully engaged with the Confederates. So he sends a message to George Meade: "The enemy is advancing in strong force and I fear that he will go the heights beyond the town before I can. I will fight him inch by inch, and if driven into the town, I will barricade the streets, and hold him back for as long as I can." His question was: which heights was he concerned about, Cemetery Hill or Seminary Ridge.

Now, I have always thought that Reynolds was talking about Cemetery Hill. But I thought that this would make a good research project for myself. So I have spent the past 4 days reading through all my books that deal with that particular part of the battle. And I have come to a conclusion. Now what I am about to write is merely MY OPINION but I will explain why I have come to this opinion.

John Buford was holding the heights west of town with just his cavalry. He had 2500 men. BUT anyone who knows anything about cavalry knows that when you dismount cavalry, one out of four of the men go to the rear to hold the horses. Which means that Buford was down to about 1800 men. Buford's 1800 men were holding off Archer's and Davis's brigades. That's a lot of men to be fighting against. Reynolds arrives before his men.

This is when he sent the message. Now, I really don't believe that Buford could hold those heights. All he was doing was slowing down the advance of the Confederates.

Every person (of importance) who arrived in Gettysburg was concerned about one place: Cemetery Hill. Cemetery Hill was basically free of trees and it was an imposing piece of ground overlooking the town. There was a lot of ground on the hill and it was fairly flat....a great place to put artillery pieces. Plus, the sides weren't steep....but a gradual slope. Another reason why it was ideal for artillery. Buford, Howard, Hancock, and others noted the importance of this hill. And that was the central location for the Army of the Potomac. John Reynolds was a professional soldier....he was trained on how to find and place his men on the important ground.

The only thing that might change my mind is a small passage that Abner Doubleday wrote in his book "Chancellorsville and Gettysburg". Here is what Doubleday had to say: "Reynolds had the true spirit of a soldier. He was a Pennsylvanian, and, inflamed at seeing the devastation of his native state, was most desirous of getting at the enemy as soon as possible. I speak from my own knowledge, for I was his second in command, and he told me at Poolesville soon after crossing the river, that it was necessary to attack this enemy at once, to prevent his plundering the whole state." So, does this mean that Reynolds wanted to fight the Confederates on the western side of town? Possibly, but Reynolds also knew that he needed men on Cemetery Hill....which he mentioned to Howard. Howard put some reserves on the hill. Then when the men were forced off the field of the First Days Battle, Howard and Hancock were able to regroup on Cemetery Hill....which they were able to hold throughout the battle.

So my conclusion is that we will never know exactly what Reynolds meant. He was killed before he could tell us....but based on the evidence, I truly believe that the heights that he was determined to save was Cemetery Hill.....the commanding heights over the town of Gettysburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment