Friday, February 5, 2010

Another snow in Gettysburg

I just came home from work and had to take a drive around the battlefield. I had to do this because I may not get to drive around the battlefield again for a week or more. Why? We are expecting another really big snow storm. Depending on who you believe, we could get 6+ inches (no big deal) or we could get 24 inches (big deal). Pretty much I'm hearing about 12-18 inches. Anything less than 10 inches is just a nuisance storm. More than a foot is something that I dread. When it snows, the park closes off many roads throughout the battlefield. Pretty much, you can't get to the southern end of the park. And forget about Culp's Hill. That's not happening. So today I took a drive around because I know that I need to hit the battlefield for one last glance until we have a warm spell (hopefully soon).

Tuesday night/Wednesday morning we had a small snowstorm....maybe 3-4". This storm was just enough snow to make driving a little treacherous for a short time. But those 3-4" are great for looking at the battlefield. As of today, there isn't much of that storm left, but there is enough to see things that you don't normally see.

It was also enough to have snow banks along the sides of the roads from the snow plow. This is pretty much what is left of the storm. Until tonight. Looks like there are going to be huge piles on the sides of roads and in parking lots and where ever else it will get piled.

I have lived in Gettysburg for almost 5 years and this is the worst winter that we have had yet. I'm not complaining. But its been a wild winter. All too often roads throughout the battlefield are closed off and I haven't been able to spend as much time out there as I would like (well....its been really cold also). Looks like we are in for it again tonight....and another storm is on the horizon for Tues or Wed. So, for anyone who is anxious to get to the battlefield, unless you are good at cross country skiing, I wouldn't recommend coming until April or May or whenever we finally get out from under all this snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment