Friday, February 12, 2010

Why did Lee go North?

First, before I get into the topic, I need to find a friend. Well....actually, I need to find someone or someones who is/are taking the Licensed Battlefield Guide test in December. If anyone out there is taking the Guide test and is looking for a "study buddy" please contact me: civilwargirl1@hotmail.com. I think I'll do much better if I can find a study buddy. Besides helping study for the test, this is a way to have a friend to help cheer on. So, if anyone is interested, please let me know. The more, the merrier!!!

So, what were the reasons for Robert E. Lee to move his army north of the Mason/Dixon line? Well, according to Edwin Coddington, there are 8 reasons. Actually, these are the only ones that I have ever heard...so these are probably a really good list.

1) He wanted to draw Grant away from the Lower Mississippi Valley. Take some of the pressure off of Vicksburg.
2) He wanted to gain a decisive victory
3) He wanted to break up the enemy's plan for a summer campaign in Virginia
4) He needed to find supplies
5) He wanted to force the Peace Democrats in the north to step up their agitation against the politicians
6) He wanted to impact the morale of the citizens of the north
7) He wanted to give the Southerners a respite from the war
8) He wanted to give the Southerners a chance to harvest their crops

When you stop and take a good look at the reasons that Lee wanted to move North it makes complete sense. The war had completely ravaged the south (especially Virginia) and he needed to get the war away from the citizens. He also needed to make the Northerners realize just what was happening in the South. By moving north, he was doing just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment